Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Step by Step: Candy Water Marble

Because we're having such a horrible boring weather these days, I decided to do a step by step water marbling tutorial. I know you can find them everywhere, but I did one in case someone would love to read mine. :D

This is one really picture heavy post, so click read more to see all the details. :) I only did one nail for this tutorial, but I used the same colors as in my candy water marble I showed you the other day.
For the water marbling you'll need:
1. Polishes you'll use for water marbling: You must experiment with polishes, because not every polish cooperates with water as we would want to. I decided to use same China Glaze polishes for this tutorial I used for my previous manicure, because they really work great. I also tried some OPIs, Orlys, Color Clubs, Catrices, some of the Essences work great too, but there's no rule so keep trying them out (On the picture ~ China Glaze: Something Sweet, Sugar High, Heli-Yum).
2. Toothpick, a wooden orange stick or something pointy: To draw the design.
3. A tissue or a paper towel: So you can wipe off the toothpick or an orange stick.
4. Cup of water: I always use a room temperature water in an empty yoghurt's plastic cup - my mom has a bottle of water ready for her flowers, so I usually take that one. :D You can have problems with the polish, if the water is too cold or too hot, so keep experimenting with the water temperature. If you still can't make the polish spread as it should, try to use distilled, filtered or bottled water.

You'll also need a tape or vaseline, Q-tips, brush, nail polish remover and top coat.

Step 1: Don't forget to prep your nails before water marbling. I usually do one hand at the same time, because having tape on all 10 fingers would probably lead to a fail. :D

If the colors you're using are sheer, put a coat of opaque polish as a base before water marbling, so the colors will stand out more. For this tutorial I used some of the really opaque polishes, so I only added a coat of OPI - Sweet Heart as a base (very sheer milky polish). I also taped my finger with sellotape, using 3 pieces of tape (sides and the bottom) so all the polish don't stick to my skin, because that'd be just too messy and hard to clean. You can use sellotape, scotch tape,... I also read that vaseline works great too (but I didn't try it on myself).

Step 2: Take all the lids off and start adding a drop of each polish into the water from a low height (if the drop sinks into the water, you're dripping it from too high up or the polish is too dense). When the drop hits the water, it spreads, so you keep adding the drops and you'll get rings of color.

Step 3: Then you take a toothpick or an orange stick and start drawing the design you want. I was trying to make some kind of flower design so I just draw some lines into the center. Wipe off the toothpick before drawing, so the polish won't stick on and ruin the whole design you're trying to get.



Step 4: When you're happy with the design you made, place your nail above the design you want to show on the nail and dip it into the water.You can also dip more nails at the same time, I'd say two would work great too, not sure about three. Just make 2 same designs close enough and dip 2 nails in the water.

Step 5: Do not pull the finger(s) out until you remove the excess polish with a toothpick.

Step 6: Here you can see how the polish sticks on the tape, so when you remove the tape, you don't have a lot to clean up. :)

Step 7: Clean up the excess with a Q-tip and a brush, add a top coat and you're done!

Huh, that was a long post and I think I just lost 2 hours for putting all this together. ^_^ I really hope that at least one will read this whole post and find it useful ~ then I'll be more than happy! :)

If you're scared of water marble, you can start with an accent nail and when you'll get used to this technique, sooner or later you'll want a full manicure. :) Practice makes perfect so keep trying and don't give up. When nothing goes as it should, I just leave it for a day and start again some other time.

Let me know what do you think about this tutorial! Thanks for reading!

Xoxo,
Ivana :k

26 Comment(s):

  1. Všečen tutorial, ful slikc pa to.
    Eh, hehe, sem probala parkrat, paaa..ne vem, sem vedno izbrala napačne lake?, nikakor niso hoteli sodelovati, pa sem kar obupala. Mi je pa taaakooo luštno tole, moram probat še kdaj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors that you used :)

    I just stumbled across your blog, if you get a chance check out mine :)

    xo, Jersey Girl

    hairsprayandhighheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came out great! Great tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a simple bright tutorial! Thanks so much - think I've finally gotten the courage to give it a shot.

    Isn't it amazing how long putting the posts together actually takes? You make it look effortless.

    They're beautiful pinks too btw. Great job x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yap, sometimes I'm shocked how much of my time I spend for putting the post together (sometimes even too much). :D But when is finished and I get comments like this, I think it's worth it!

      Delete
  6. super je tutorial, ja samo nisam uspjela skuzit kako da se ovako lakovi lijepo prosire po vodi :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great, I love the colors together! I tried to water marble myself after a few failed attempts and the water and polishes you pick really do make a big difference in how it turns out. So cute, love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful tutorial!!! Gorgeous mani! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, thank you! I hope I'll try watermarble too one day :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be sure this is helpful, thanks for this gorgeous job!
    I'll print it and I'll keep it as a Bible while trying it myself.
    Thanks thanks thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you so much for your comment! :h Sometimes I think none would even read what I post, but comments like this always made my day! :h

      Delete
  11. Bom poskusila naredit! :D Hvala za tole! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before I was just feeling like I'd better do it some day,
    but now I feel I MUST do it ASAP!!
    Thanks pushing my back!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your tutorial! I tried water marbling once but got water drops everywhere on my nail, must try again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW! This is my dream-color combination! Great colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow pretty! It looks so easy, i've tried it several times. But i stilll had some issues whith air bubbles on my nails. Do have a tip to get rid of them? Love your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you see the bubbles when you make a design? If you have bubbles in the water, they'll show up on the nail too. So get rid of them before you put your nails in the water (just simply blow them up with a toothpick) or place them there where there's no bubbles. Well, I hope we're thinking about same bubbles. ^_^ If not, please let me know. :h

      Delete
  16. ti si to predobro napravila, ali meni ovo ne vrijedi objašnjavat, previše je to packanja za mene ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome tutorial!! Thank you so much, it's one of the best I've seen ;) It always looks so easy, but when I try it I fail miserably =)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Theodora! It means a lot! :h You should try it more often, I'm sure you can master this technique! :)

      Delete
  18. Fantastic! :-L

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely 😍I must try Something Sweet from China Glaze.. So pretty baby pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SS is probably my fave pastel baby pink. Its formula is just a perfection! :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment here, I really apreciate every comment I get! Please do not spam my comments with the links to your blog, especially if you are here just to paste the link. Thank you for understanding!

Ivana*